How to restart X

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 28 11:20:54 UTC 2004

John Thompson wrote:
> Erik Volkman wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 11:38:43AM -0400, jludwig
>> <wralphie at comcast.net> said
>>
>>> Actually there are a few ways
>>> startx (startkde) (also see  man 1 startx)
>>> telinit 5
>>> CTL+ALT+BKSP (CTL+META+BKSP) from X
>>> And a few others I don't remember.
>>

>> I suppose I should put this in the context that X has frozen, and the
>> only
>> access you have is by ssh'ing in. In addition it should put you back
>> at the
>> graphical-login prompt.
>

> # killall -HUP X

If X is already not running and you see the graphics that was displayed
upon the crash. There is no need to kill something that is not in processes.

ssh'ing into the computer is easier to do than manipulating commands w/o
the visual aid a working display provides.

I have not tried to see if just typing startx and then pressing enter
would reinitialize the video card and bring up a working GUI again.
Currently, a reboot is needed to reinitialize the video card from a
departed X.

What process are running still when X departs? Which one's were blown
away upon losing X?

Jim

--
If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.
		-- Arthur Kasspe