installing new Ati Radeon 7000 w? fc2

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Jul 28 13:01:38 UTC 2004

HD wrote:
> I currently have a nvidia TNT2 video card installed on my system (using
> just the nv driver) but I'm planning to replace it with a Ati Radeon
> 7000. I am running Fedora Core 2. Will the new card be automatically
> detected? Should I make any changes to xorg.conf *before* installing the
> new card? Is there anything else I should be aware of before making this
> change?
>
> Thanks!

I just finished building a new box for FC2 with these specs:
ASUS A7V8X-X mobo
ASUS ATI Radeon 7000 video card
Antec Sonata case
Vantec Round Cables
Teac DVD/CDRW

and the FC2 installation went smoothly once I updated the BIOS (doh!).
Graphics are smooth, though I would say that they are not *quite* as
smooth as the graphics on my FC1 machine with a 64MB nvidia card. There
is also some issue that my OpenGL screensavers are having with
'grabbing' the screen -- for instance, the Ant Spotlight isn't showing
the spotlight...just the ant. Additionally, there is something fishy
with the way Chromium is playing: the sound plays at a tempo that varies
with the intensity of the graphics. Neither of these issues showed up
with my nvidia card and FC1. TuxRacer works fine as does Celestia with
the ATI Radeon 7000.

My friend who built his FC2 box at the same time used a Gigabyte mobo
and Gigabyte ATI Radeon 7000 video card, and he doesn't have the two
issues I described.

Sorry that I can't help about the xorg.conf changes, but with a fresh
install, FC2 picks up the card easily, and I have not made any changes
to the default installed driver.

HTH,
Clint