Installing software from RPMs

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jul 28 13:28:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 02:13, A. Lanza wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> i'm beginning to install some new software in my FC2 linux system. Now
> i'm looking for some multimedia players, i've found out that there are
> some of them, like xine or mplayer.
>
> Since they're not included in the distribution CDs, i went for them to
> freshrpms.net. I found them there and downloaded them, but when i try to
> install them with rpm command i get a lot of messages telling that these
> files have dependencies.
>
> I've intended to use yum, because i know that this tools is able to
> check dependencies and install them before the main package, but i had
> no luck trying 'yum install xine', because it tells that xine is not in
> its database.

HUH??

That is exactly how I installed xine.
You may need to check and configure your yum.conf file to utilize some
different repositories to get xine, but yum does install it cleanly.

This is one repository that I know has xine (the stanza comes directly
from my yum.conf file)
                                                                                      -----
[dag]
name=Fedora Core Dag Wieers' repository