Eudora and pop3s on Fedora

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Wed Jul 28 14:46:54 UTC 2004

On 07/27/2004 07:09 PM, david wrote:

> At 04:06 PM 7/27/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Am Mi, den 28.07.2004 schrieb david um 0:50:
>>
>> > I have a Microsoft XP system running a Eudora E-mail client (version
>> 5.1).
>> > I have a mail server on a Fedora system.
>>
>> > David
>>
>> Update/upgrade your Eudora version. There were some fixes and changes
>> since release 5.1.
>>
>> Alexander
>

> Aw darn.
>
> That costs money :-(
>
> Oh well, maybe I should
>
> david

Switching to Thunderbird from Eudora is pretty easy. And Thunderbird is
a much more vital project; Eudora was feeling like it was reaching
end-of-life. Compare that to the explosion in
Thunderbird/Firefox/Mozilla extensions, for example. Maybe Eudora has
kicked back into gear, but with the number of bugs they didn't fix
between 5.0 and 5.1beta, I felt like I had no choice but to switch.

We made this switch system wide (200 users) a while back and got very
few complaints. I think I wrote up a one-page doc of important
differences, that easily could have been shorter. We use IMAP so the
issues with transferring mail were very small; I don't know how much POP
might make it more difficult for you (although Thunderbird's import
options seem very good).

--Matt