Network configuration problem.

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 28 15:11:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 10:34, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> > > I have tried to route add -net 192.168.2.0 gw 192.168.1.7 to no avail.
> > > netstat on a customer machine gave:
> >
> > I think you may need to add a netmask to your route add command.  I know
> > it should know that from the 192.168 being a class C address but I have
> > found some other Unix systems had problems without specifying the
> > netmask.
> >
> > Just to confirm, you can ping 192.168.1.7 right?
>
> Yes, I can.
>
> > Also, with the Linksys wireless device, how did you connect it?  Did you
>
> DHCP picked that address. I first configured the Linksys router offline
> then attached it to the WAN router and the address 192.168.1.7 showed up
> on the Linksys setup window.
>
> > define the WAN port with 192.168.1.7?  If you connected your 192.168.1
> > network to the switch or LAN side of the wireless router I think the
> > wireless users are simply bridged over to that network.  In other words
> > the WAN port would be unused and all of your devices, server and
> > wireless users, would be on the 192.168.1 network.
> >
> > I have to look at the linksys to see if the wireless portion can be
> > configured for a different subnet or not.
>
> I had no problem configuring it to a different subnet. With the factory
> defaults the LAN address of the Linksys router is 192.168.1.1 but since
> that conflicts with the WAN router's adresses I had to chose something
> else. When you then pick 192.168.2.1 and commit it you'll just have to
> logon to http://192.168.2.1 to continue configuring it. Piece of cake.

Ok, so you have it connected through the WAN port to your internal LAN.
Did you try specifying the subnet mask on the route you put into your
server?  You need to get a route on the server otherwise when you try to
talk to any device on the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet your packets are getting
routed to the Internet connection which not what you want.

Try specifying your route add command as

route add -net 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.7

Someway you need to get this route into your servers routing table.
Are you getting an error when you run this?  If not provide a netstat
-rn when you have added this route.

If that does not work then I think you should try just using the
bridging function of the linksys.

To do that disconnect the cable to the WAN port on the linksys and plug
it into one of the switch ports.  Reconfigure the LAN to use 192.168.1.7
or some other IP address on your LAN.  Would be best if you used an
address outside the DHCP range being used on your LAN segment.  You will
need to find out the range being handled by the DHCP service.

Disable DHCP on the linksys and let the other device on your LAN that
passes out DHCP addresses do that for your wireless users.

In this mode all devices including your wireless users will be on the
192.168.1 network.  The linksys will just act as a bridge.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead
armadillos.
		-- Jim Hightower, Texas Agricultural Commissioner