How do I "spin-down" hardrive after X minutes to save power?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Jul 28 18:54:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 01:40:58PM -0500, Satish Balay wrote:
> > echo -n 1 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
> APM automatically sets(toggles) laptop_mode - when switched to battery
> (atleast on FC1)

Interesting -- I don't have APM installed on my laptop, since it's
ACPI-only. (And that _isn't_ properly preconfigured to do this.)

But anyway, the original poster actually wants this for a non-laptop -- a
tv-recorder appliance system. The laptop mode seems like it might be
applicable there too, even though battery life obviously isn't.