Sound questions

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Wed Jul 28 20:23:25 UTC 2004

Hesty P escribió:

[snip]
> My next step is to have all my instant messaging to
> use alsa (so that I can have this multiple stream
> stuff). Gaim seems to use libao, which can easily be
> told to use alsa. Amsn uses play and I'm stumped with
> this. How do I tell play to use alsa driver. Play only
> has --device=XXX switch and no --driver. Also, is
> there any other sound player except play that can use
> alsa driver? It only needs to be able to play wav
> file.

Yes, you can use "aplay" (or "aplayer"... I don't have a Linux box at
hand right now, but that's the "official" CLI player that comes with ALSA).
I couldn't find a better way to tell Gaim to use ALSA, so I'm using
that, and it's working fine. BTW, I'd like to know what approach did you
use to have Gaim using ALSA, and how it is better compared to setting
"custom" sound and telling it to use "aplay|aplayer %s" in the preferences.

Regards,

--
Mariano