Access to Samba SWAT service

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Jul 29 13:09:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 13:44 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> A. Lanza wrote:
> > It seems like Samba SWAT service is not running. How can i check this?
>
> The first thing to do is to go (as root) to /etc/xinetd.d/swat and
> make sure that the "disable" line is "no". Then run
> service xinetd restart
> (as root, again).
>
> That should get it working through xinetd. Instead of swat running all
> the time, xinetd waits for a connection to port 901 and starts swat.
>
> You used to be able to get swat to run as a separate daemon. At a quick
> look, I'd say that's been taken out.
You can (and I believe should) use chkconfig to enable/disable/list
details for xinetd services as well. Instead of editing the specified
files try.

chkconfig --level 345 swat on (i'm not entirely sure if the level's are
strictly used by xinetd, if they are, that's cool).

I would recommend getting used to the chkconfig/service tools, their
incredibly handy, and allow you to write your own scripts that fit in
well with Redhat's well structured init system.

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator