freeware x-server

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 29 17:24:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 12:53, mmarkiw at speakeasy.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have to use a Windows XP machine at my office, but I have a FC1 box sitting at home that I routinely access via SSH sessions during lunch.  I would like to be able to test some GUI-based applications I'm writing on there, but I don't have any x-server software for the windows PC.  My question is, is there any good, free or cheap windows based x-server software available?  And also, can I use it over an SSH session?
>
> I appreciate any help you might be able to give.
> Thanks!
> -Mike

Check out the cygwin project.  You can setup a fairly extensive unix
like environment on windows, including an x server that will handle x11
forwarding for your applications.  You can also use their ssh or putty
with the x11 server cygwin provides.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures.
		-- Gaius Julius Caesar, quoted in "The Conspiracy of
		   Catiline", by Sallust