Raid Configuration

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 04:06:45 UTC 2004

> > Hi All,
> >
> > Could someone tell me which one is faster out of
> mirror or striped
> > software raid in FC, in there experience?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Simon Jones
> >
> By the book:
> Mirror would write slower, because it has to write
> everything twice, but
> read faster, because it has two places it can read
> from.
> Stripe would write faster because you have multiple
> locations to "split"
> the files between.
>
> Caution:  Stripes, in the purest sense, are risky in
> that if you lose one
> drive, you might as well have lost them all.

RAID 10 (or a striped mirror) will increase the
redundancy of a stripe. Have 4 disks (if using an IDE
RAID controller it's perfect for this), stripe each
set of two and mirror the 2 stripes. You boost your
read and write performance and your redundancy (losing
a disk doesn't bring down the server). The only
disadvantage with this is the amount of disk space you
lose, but if that's no big deal then striped mirrors
are always the way to go (better than raid 5 since
raid 5 only needs to lose more than one disk and the
whole raid 5 set collapses - striped mirrors can lose
multiple disks - as long as they're on different
stripe groups - and the system won't go down).

Michael.