Where can I find a C complier

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Fri Jul 30 04:39:07 UTC 2004

Chris A Czerwinski wrote:

>Help me out- If FEDORA is REDHAT doesn't gcc come with FC1, FC2 and FC3?
>Because isn't that what you use to compile your kernel?
>Or are you tricking us that you may need a special version eg gcc2.96 ??

First: Fedora isnt redhat..
Second: Fedora comes with gcc , but it's only installed in case you tell
the installer to install it (it's under the development tools) or any
package that depends on it.

>Which brings me to my next question - How would you compile your various
>applications with various C compilers and libraries i.e. config's?

Depends.. if you want to use the latest gcc , usually you simply do vi
README ; vi INSTALL ; ./configure ; ./make ; ./make install
BUT , please read both the README and INSTALL files , because they
usually contain information that is usefull to compile the program.

>I guess I need to know the CONFIGUERATIONs "how to?" and "what links"
>and/or "Lib"raries are necessary also with their links. Or how do you
>mamage the LINKs - this is getting into ADVANCE LINKing and COMPILEing

I didnt get this part.. If you mean the linking part that occurs when
you compile a program , you dont control it a lot... To find the
necessary libs , you have to pay attention to the output of
./configure.. It looks for the necessary libs and reports if it finds
them or not. If a important lib wasnt found , the compile part will
simply fail. If a acessory lib wasnt found , then the program can  still
be compiled , but will be missing some functionality.
Usually when I compile a program from source (which is a bit rare ,
considering all the repositories available) , is exactly what I told you
before (vi README ; etc...) . But I usually do ./configure |tee
output.log , so I can see what's going on and save the output to
"output.log" . Then I look at the output.log file and look for all the
tests that failed (to find if it's looking for a lib on the wrong place
, if the program needs a lib I dont have , etc). Then , I correct all
the problems (usually downloading the -devel package for that missing
lib fixes everything). Then I keep doing the configure step untill
everything works (or untill I get all the parts I want working). Then I
proceed to compiling normally..

Hope this helps..

--
Pedro Macedo