FC2: Server installation with non-working SSHD and missing /etc/dhcpd.conf

Philipp Ott philipp.ott at avalon.at
Fri Jul 30 09:01:27 UTC 2004

Oie!

Yesternight I installed FC2 on an old P3 196MB with the Server-Setup - I
want masqerading networking, squid, dhcpd and sendmail. I added the
sendmail, squi and dhcp server from the software selection. I have an
internal interface eth0 for my LAN and an external interface eth1 which
dhcps the IP address from the cable provider. Basic networking works and
up2date ran fine updating the packages. The kernel is up to date.

However:  I want to setup dhcp server on eth0 but /etc/dhcpd.conf is
missing - or is this by design not there? rpm shows dhcpd is installed.

Second: I cant ssh into the box, not even ssh localhost. It says
authentication failed and  there is no password query. In
/var/log/message I find messages that Port 22 on 0.0.0.0 is already in
use and sshd fails to bind there. I installed RH9 and FC1 a few times
now but always either "Full" or "Workstation" plus few packages and
never had a problem with the out-of-the-box ssh Installation. I changed
options in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and ssh_config (removing Protocol 1
support) and such but still cant ssh into the box. I disabled/unloaded
iptables and still no success. SSH user at somewhere.else works, I can get
"away" from the PC but no onto it.

Was choosing "Server" a bad idea and do I have to add some more rpms?
Did somebody stumble accross similar problems?

Regards,
Philipp Ott