Email question

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Jul 30 14:19:56 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 30.07.2004 schrieb Cowles, Steve um 2:52:

> Note 3: When an invalid recipient was specifed (like during a dictionary
> attack), it was rejected after the "rcpt to"; thus no DSN/bounce was
> generated by sendmail. i.e. The rejection occurs before the inbound e-mail
> is submitted to the queue for delivery. Nice!!!

It is correct that invalid recpient addresses are rejected right after
the "RCPT TO: <address>" command. That is default Sendmail behaviour and
nothing invented with the access_db setup you give as an example.

It is wrong that the sender gets not DSN. Of course he gets one, just a
general one. If the Sendmail admin like he can specify a specific DSN
for unknown recipient addresses given by a sender. You yourself posted
the link where that is described:

ERROR:### any textas above, but useful to mark error messages as such.
ERROR:D.S.N:### any textwhere D.S.N is an RFC 1893 compliant error code
and the rest as above.

> Steve Cowles

Btw. you can handle such rejections too within a virtusertable - which
is already necessary for Jake as he hosts 6 mail domains. As an example
I have for each of the domains I host in the virtusertable following 2
entries (where the info@ address is not used by the customer):

info at customerdomain.de                  ERROR:5.7.1:550 we do not accept
merchandising SPAM
@customerdomain.de                      error:nouser no such user here

Has same effect as your access_db example setup, which is only for 1
domain.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 16:10:49 up 4 days, 1:17, load average: 0.28, 0.22, 0.18