Email question

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jul 31 03:49:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 20:34, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 31.07.2004 schrieb Jake McHenry um 4:45:
>
> > I just found this site:
> >
> > http://www.sendmail.org/m4/smtp_auth.html
> >

> > I'll try to follow this.. just add the listed sections to sendmail.mc, just
> > like drac, and then regenerate the cf file... correct?
>
> > Jake McHenry
>
> The code on the site you mention above contains sendmail.cf code. Don't
> go that way.
>
> Rudolfo did efforts to write a nice instruction set:
>
> http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/howto/html-single/Sendmail-SMTP-AUTH-HOWTO.html

----
Pay special attention to #10

If you have previously allowed any relaying, whether by IP address or
any other method, wait until very late at night to make sure you don't
disrupt your users and then disable it. In your /etc/mail/access file,
for example, make sure that you only allow relaying from localhost which
is 127.0.0.1.

Your listing of /etc/mail/access had a public IP address listed which
permitted the entire world to use your system to relay - certainly an
action which will generate a lot of angst towards you.

Craig