Sendmail Starting

Jake McHenry linux at nittanytravel.com
Sat Jul 31 04:17:26 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

In my /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail file, this is what there was originally

start() {
        # Start daemons.

        echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
        /usr/bin/newaliases > /dev/null 2>&1
        if test -x /usr/bin/make -a -f /etc/mail/Makefile ; then
          make all -C /etc/mail -s
        else
          for i in virtusertable access domaintable mailertable ; do
            if [ -f /etc/mail/$i ] ; then
                makemap hash /etc/mail/$i < /etc/mail/$i
            fi
          done
        fi
        daemon /usr/sbin/sendmail $([ "x$DAEMON" = xyes ] && echo -bd) $([ -n "$QUEUE" ] && echo -q$QUEUE)
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/sendmail

        if ! test -f /var/run/sm-client.pid ; then
        echo -n $"Starting sm-client: "
        touch /var/run/sm-client.pid
        chown smmsp:smmsp /var/run/sm-client.pid
        daemon --check sm-client /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q $SMQUEUE
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/sm-client
        fi

        return $RETVAL
}

I added the following line because the sm-client.pid file was being created and it's always empty, so when I shut sendmail down or restart it, it would fail, and I would have to kill manually. I added this right after the daemon sm-client line.

        ps waux | grep '^smmsp' | cut -d ' ' -f 5 > /var/run/sm-client.pid

This worked, but could someone show me what your files contain. The way I did it probably isn't the best way to fix this.

Thanks,
Jake McHenry

MIS Coordinator
Nittany Travel