A backup problem

Hannes Mayer h.mayer at inode.at
Sat Jul 31 17:32:33 UTC 2004

Satish Balay wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Mike wrote:
>

>>I am installing Linux Fedora Core 2 over a an older RedHat version, 7.1. The
>>application is a complex one providing a real-time video feed. While
>>reasonably schooled in the application side there are any number of esoteric
>>pieces I am struggling with. Specifically something as simple as backing up
>>the system.
>>
>>I've tried TAR and SMB only to create ever increasing volumes. The problem I
>>think is that my attempts are chasing the links instead of simply backing up
>>the links. I simply want to create a backup that I can copy back, untar or
>>the like, if I must re-create the system. All my software is a CVS archive,
>>however much of the meddling I've done to Linux is in the libs, file
>>structures, links, .conf files and the like.
>>
>>Any direction will be greatly appreciated.
>

> How about just using rsync for backup?
>
> rsync -a source_dir destination_location
>
> And if the destination is on a remote machine:
>
> rsync -az -e ssh source_dir user at remotemachine:destination_location

To get you started with rsync, here is a sample config:

On the backup server:
/etc/rsync.conf

motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

[rsync]
    path = /home/rsync
    comment = Rsync Backup Server
    uid = nobody
    gid = nobody
    read only = no
    list = yes
    secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt

Start the rsync server with:
# rsync --daemon

On the machine with the data to be backuped:

#!/bin/sh
# backup server
BSERVER=192.168.200.17
# backup options
# see: # man rsync
OPTS="--force --ignore-errors --delete -a"
# directory to backup
BDIR=/home/user
# do the backup
rsync $OPTS $BDIR $BSERVER::rsync/

So everything in /home/user gets backuped to the server in /home/rsync
For further details see 'man rsync'

Cheers,
Hannes.