A backup problem

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Sat Jul 31 18:49:18 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 10:16, Mike wrote:
> I am installing Linux Fedora Core 2 over a an older RedHat version, 7.1. The
> application is a complex one providing a real-time video feed. While
> reasonably schooled in the application side there are any number of esoteric
> pieces I am struggling with. Specifically something as simple as backing up
> the system.
>
> I've tried TAR and SMB only to create ever increasing volumes. The problem I
> think is that my attempts are chasing the links instead of simply backing up
> the links. I simply want to create a backup that I can copy back, untar or
> the like, if I must re-create the system. All my software is a CVS archive,
> however much of the meddling I've done to Linux is in the libs, file
> structures, links, .conf files and the like.
>
> Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

Mike,

Enhanced versions of the classic UNIX utilities often work better than
the originals. VIM is one example. Joerg Schilling's star is another. If
you're having trouble with links, you may be running into the
99-character limit on pathnames and linknames. And if you have a _lot_
of stuff to backup, I believe classic tar has a 2G output filesize
limit. Star's limits are much higher.

There are a few command line option differences for star compared to
classic tar, but it has a fairly good man page. FC1 comes with
star-1.5a18-2. FC2 comes with star-1.5a25-5.

--Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov