Help: Install on AMD 64 creates display wash

Rory Gleeson rory at childwelfare.ca
Tue Jun 1 00:11:47 UTC 2004

Any quick help that can be provided would be most welcomed!

PROBLEM: After successfully installing FC2 32bit, on reboot, graphical load
screen goes awash in colour.

DETAILS: I've just bought a new computer today and was trying to load FC2.
Everything went fine on install.  No issues.  My monitor wasn't initially
recognized, but I selected it from the monitor list and proceeded without
issue.  Graphics were fine on install.  Install completed successfully.

On reboot, the Grub graphics screen with kernel was recognized.  The system
then started to do a text load for a few seconds until it hit the graphical
load portion of the boot-up sequence.  Then, it went to switch over to the
graphical load screen, as it typically does.  However, when it got to that
part of the boot-up process, the screen went awash in coloured, pixely,
uneven patterns across my screen.

This happened on three different install attempts:
My FC2 HD from my Celeron was loaded in to my computer and initially did
this.  I then did an FC2 *upgrade* without issue but on reboot the same
thing occurred again.  I then did a *clean install* to reformat the disc.
Again, all went smoothly until I hit the same problem at the same point,
once again.

Help!  I'm really partial to Fedora after trying out Mandrake 10, SuSE and
Debian Sarge.  It's a great distro so I'd love to get it back.

COMPUTER SPECS:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000
Motherboard: K8V SE Deluxe
Video card: ATI Radeon 9200 SE
Monitor: ACER 54E

properly on to be friend's XP box, so I'm stuck on 32bit for now.  My FC2
32bit discs work and were used to install on my old Celeron machine, so
that's not the problem.

Please feel free to CC: any responses to rory at childwelfare.ca, as I'm on the
digest version.  I'm currently typing from the SuSE 9.1 LiveCD, but I'm not
a fan of SuSE or Mandrake, so save me! :)

Thanks,
Rory