Fedora Overview: Generic Dislikes and Problems

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Tue Jun 1 07:26:41 UTC 2004

Ragone_Andrew wrote:
> I have been pretty satisfied with RedHat/Fedora in the past. I am
> currently trying to add it onto my desktop but it seems that it does not
> want to cooperate. Anyway, the general feature that have been
> implemented that I dont like [or would like to implement] are as follows:
>
> -Always having to right-click and Browse Folder instead of the old
> filebrowing structure

Check the archives. You have to enable an option in gconf. I don't
really remember which as I have gotten used to spatial quickly. You can
also check www.fedorafaq.org.

> -Graphical startup [like the first boot with the computer icon and
> feature to view the text in a graphical window]

Remove rhgb in your /etc/grub.conf to disable graphical bootup.

> Problems that seem to recur:
>
> -Random unstability [freezing and unrecoverable blank screens]...Linux
> is usually stable and im really suprised FC2 has turned out this way so far.

Would like to note that I've been running FC2 since release on my
Thinkpad laptop. No problems. Stable as ever. Plus, it's faster

> That occured on my main system that I am trying to run plainly on Lin
> and not Win anymore. No problems [that I know of] on my Server that runs
> FC2 as well. My sys has Athlon64 where I have tried both 32 and 64 bit
> installations both with the same or similar problems. I am not sure if
> it is because of 2 CDROM drives which seems to be a hot issue on bugzilla.

What other hardware are you running? It's pretty hard to know if it's a
hardware or driver issue without knowing the other parts of your
hardware. Have you tried if you can still remotely access your PC
through ssh after freezes and blanking of screen? Maybe it's just a
video issue?

> Hope you dont mind the comments and if anyone knows of ways to fix these
> problems let me know...
>
> -Andrew

dex