nss_ldap host resolving and kernel badness

Herbert Gasiorowski gasi3 at web.de
Tue Jun 1 14:06:18 UTC 2004

Something goes wrong when sendmail tries to resolve the nullclient
relay-host and nss_ldap is used:
The mail is not delivered to the relay-host (relay=[127.0.0.1] is logged!?).

If I change the /etc/nsswitch.conf line from
    hosts: files ldap dns
back to
    hosts: files nis dns
or put the relay-host in the files(/etc/hosts) sendmail has no more problems.

There is no different output from "getent hosts relay-host" whether nis or ldap
is used.

Using FC2 and nscd(as there some more problems with ldap host resolving)
for testing, I recognised that the machine stops for some time and a syslog
message appears:

   Jun  1 15:07:46 <host> kernel: Badness in interruptible_sleep_on at
kernel/sched.c:1927

Finaly - after about 10 of these events - the host could not be handled
remotely: You could type in commands but there was no asnwer!

Checking the central loghost, all hosts with FC2 installed have some of
this messages ....

--
mfg
Herbert Gasiorowski