Gnome-terminal performance

Øyvind Stegard oyvinst at ifi.uio.no
Tue Jun 1 20:29:20 UTC 2004

Hi,

Example of gnome-terminal performance: I'm unpacking an archive with
lots of small files in verbose mode, which results in lots of terminal
output. While this is going on, I'm watching CPU usage in top:

X+gnome-terminal         - 80-90% (typical)
tar+gzip                 -  8- 9% (typical)

So, the gnome-terminal is hijacking most of my CPU cycles (indirectly
via X), making the unpacking go many times slower than it should, and X
responsiveness sucks while this is going on. The same can be observed by
running other commands which produce much terminal output. For instance,
running find -print in a large directory tree takes much longer to
complete in gnome-terminal, than other terms. Xterm is extremely fast in
comparison (with Xft). Konsole beats the gnome-terminal easily, too.
Something is wrong. Arg! =) The Gnome project is great, gnome-terminal
is great _feature-wise_, but its speed is a total shame. Searching the
net gives me indications that this problem has existed for a while
too, it was the same in FC1, and I am disappointed that it hasn't really
improved in FC2/Gnome2.6.

Similar experiences ? Am I wrong ? Comments ?

Øyvind
--
< Øyvind Stegard <oyvinst at ifi.uio.no>
 < University of Oslo, Dept. of informatics