FC2 & Belkin KVM Switch

Nathan G. Grennan fedora-list at cygnusx-1.org
Tue Jun 1 22:16:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 15:40 -0500, admin at kclinux.net wrote:
> I have a user that has two PC's connected to a Belkin 4 port KVM switch.
>
> One PC is a Windows XP/FC2 dual boot.
> The other PC is a FC2 test server running KDE.
>
> When he switches from one computer to another, the Windows one works
> fine.  But when he switches to the Fedora box, the mouse jumps all over
> the screen.
>
> The keyboard is a Logitech Elite Keyboard and the mouse is a
> Intellimouse Explorer 3.0.
>
> Anyone know how to fix the mouse problem on the FC2 box?  They keyboard
> still works fine after switching, its just the mouse that is having
> problems.

  The KVM causes problems when you use a wheel mouse and tell Linux it
is a wheel mouse. It tries to emulate the mouse when it isn't connected
to a computer for input. The mouse it emulates is a non-wheel mouse, and
hence causes the problem. So you can either reconfigure the mouse on the
Linux box to non-wheel, or replace the KVM. There are a variety of
temporary workarounds, but no solution I have found.

  I own a Belkin 4port ps/2 kvm and ended up replacing it with a Iogear
Miniview SE 4port ps/2 kvm. The Iogear does the emulation properly, at
least for the wheel mice. As for more complex mice with extra button I
haven't dared.