/dev/ttyUSB?? permissions

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Wed Jun 2 00:35:52 UTC 2004

I recently had to re-install FC1 on my laptop (before FC2 was released).
In the process the /dev/pilot link to my Treo 600 palm+phone.
Reconstructing that capability took me a while, since there aren't really
any good HOWTOs.

It wasn't quite as simple as soft linking /dev/pilot to /dev/ttyUSB1. I
was able to install pilot-link and connect to my Treo, but jpilot refused
to sync with it. Only when I ran

     # chmod a+rw /dev/ttyUSB??

did jpilot's sync function come back to life. Can anyone explain to me why
the original permissions on USB devices are 660 and not 666? Is this
something that should be Bugzilla'd?

--Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                          -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov