Dual Boot RH7.3 and FC2

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 2 02:20:56 UTC 2004

Bernice Lau wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to dual boot RH7.3 and FC2.  Every time that I've tried
>installing, I can get either RH7.3 or FC2 to boot, but not both.  I've tried
>installing RH7.3 first, and then FC2, but the bootloader won't allow RH7.3
>to run after the FC2 installation.  Same thing happens if I try and install
>FC2 then RH7.3. Any suggestions for what I should do?
>
>Thanks,
>Bernice

You would need to install RHL 7.3's boot loader onto it's boot
partition. You can do this by running the below conmmand while RHL 7.3
is running.
>From a root shell, type:
grub-install /dev/hda1 (NOTE: This is if hda1 is the boot partition for
RHL 7.3)

Next, you would install FC2 and add another boot parameter to the grub
installer during the grub portion of the setup program. You would want
to select from the pull-down menu /dev/hda1 and then call it RHL 7.3 or
something else that makes sense to you.

I am assuming that you have seperate boot partitions for each installation.

Another method is to mount the partition that contains your
/boot/grub/grub.conf file from either installation, then with a text
editor (gedit or kedit), copy the text from the one installation and
paste the information into the other grub.conf file. Change the title to
something that makes sense to you for distinction.

It can be accomplished. I hope my explanation is understandable to you.

good luck,

Jim