Fedora's PHP binary pretty slow for CGI

David Garamond lists at zara.6.isreserved.com
Wed Jun 2 12:34:49 UTC 2004

Joe Orton wrote:
>>>Remove all the modules you don't need.
>>
>>You missed my point. The point is for the PHP packages support all the
>>extensions, but separated and need not be loaded except when user
>>requested it via php.ini, e.g:
>>
>>extension=mysql.so
>>extension=pgsql.so
>>;extension=gd.so
>>;extension=imap.so
>>;etc.
>
> Well, three of those four are already separate modules, so you can
> disable them if you like by removing the php-mysql etc package, or
> editing /etc/php.d/*.ini.

Yes, sorry about this. As I just found out yesterday, since version 4.3,
PHP has introduced --with-config-file-scan-dir, so even though I have
commented all shared extensions from /etc/php.ini, all the shared
extensions were loaded from /etc/php.d/. After I deleted/renamed the
*.ini files in /etc/php.d/, the startup overhead was considerably lower
(only about 0.05-0.07s).

I have now modified the php.spec to make even more extensions into
shared ones (particularly gd, curl, bz2, and a couple others that load
shared libraries) to further reduce the overhead time.

Thanks.

--
dave