Fedora Core 2 and P4C800 mobo

Lukasz Szelag javaguy1974 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 14:25:41 UTC 2004

>From: "Mark Fuller" <mark.fuller at earthlink.net>
>To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>CC: <javaguy1974 at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Fedora Core 2 and P4C800 mobo
>Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 14:16:20 -0700

>I believe the problem you read about is with the ASUS P4P800. I have the
>"P4C800 E Deluxe" and installed FC2 without any problems.[1]

I have P4C800 "E Deluxe" version (1 SATA and 1 IDE HDD). The difference
could be in the BIOS version that you have ( I think mine is old 1009). The
original ISO CD1 was causing my machine to reboot when I ran the install.
Finally I got a patched ISO boot image (thanks again Karsten!) which allowed
me to smoothly install FD2.

>[1] Actually, I had one problem. I upgraded my bios prior to installing
>FC2.
>I also *excessively* disabled everything in the bios. FC2 installed but
>eth0
>(a card, not the built-in lan on the motherboard) wouldn't come up. It
>failed dhcp to my router. I reset the bios values to the default and eth0
>began working. I'm not sure if the bios upgrade caused the confusion (and
>reseting the bios values to their defaults straightned things up), or if I
>disabled something in the bios (and reseting the bios values re-enabled
>it).

You need to enable the onboard LAN card in the BIOS. What is interesting
here I never managed to configure this onboard LAN card with Win XP (using
original Asus drivers). XP simply couldn't recognize the card/install
drivers. I even thought that my onboard card was broken since I saw a few
postings indicating the some P4C800 mobos had broken LAN cards. I was so
surprised when this card was recognized by FD2 and works :) FD2 is a great
release!

Lukasz

a trip to NY