[FC1] Insufficient rights when trying to shut down

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Jun 2 18:15:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 09:09, Muñoz Aparicio, Esther wrote:
> Everything is working fine as root, but now, every time me or my
> husband try to, for example, shut down the computer (when logged as
> ourselves), Gnome complains that we have insufficent rights. The same
> happens with any program that used to ask for root password when
> invoked from Gnome: the pop-up message says "Insufficient rights" and
> that's all.

That's cause to invoke the shutdown command,
you have to be root! Unless of course you grant access
to the "shutdown" command using sudo.

Alternatively, you can try "poweroff" or "reboot"
which works w/o needing root admin rights.

(it's a security hazard but if it's your own PC, it's
deemed ok)

HTH

cheers,
ow