Can't copy files in *.dat form VCD

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Jun 2 18:37:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 22:28, Edward wrote:
> Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
>
> > Hello List,
> >
> > I have played files with extensions *.dat with both 'xine' and
> > 'mplayer'.The vcd of the film "Unfaithful" has three files in the 'MPEG'
> > folder,Music01.dat,Music02.dat,Music03.dat.I played this file from the
> > cd in Windows Media player as well as SiS mmplayer.Now I copied those
> > files to a separate directory and later opened them using both Mplayer
> > and Xine.
> >
> > Xine even has a file filter for *.dat type of files.Mplayer like its
> > namesake Mediaplayer doesn't automatically filter the files but once
> > selected using filter "all files",it plays it anyway.But both these
> > programs fail to run the same files from the CD when tried with Play
> > File.(They can very well play the VCD containing these files)whereas if
> > these files are copied to harddisk they can play it.
> >
> > Curiously within Linux,these files cannot be copied off CD.But,once in
> > Windows,you can copy them and store them.Both Xine and Mplayer play them
> > now once they are stored like this. And that's how VCDs are kept on the
> > harddisk by all my friends here.
> >
> > This is curious.Could anybody shed more light?

> If you're going to store .DAT files on your hard drive like that to play
> them, you're wasting space. I suggest stripping the extra overhead of
> the DAT and leave yourself with an mpeg instead.

Well, I dont' know about stripping out the dat to get a mpg but I do
know how to copy/rip out the DAT files.

You need the CDFS package. (google)

[snip]
Mount a cdrom with something like

        mount -t cdfs -o ro /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdfs

ISO images will show up as "sessions1_?.iso" or "session-?.iso", HFS
images as "apple.hfs",
boot images as "boot.image", VideoCD tracks as "videocd-?.mpeg" and
audio tracks as
"track-?.wav". ISO, HFS and boot images can be mounted loopback.

You can specify the uid, gid and mode that should be used for the files.
E.g

        mount -t cdfs -o ro,uid=0,mode=600 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdfs