Beep gone in FC2?

Joshua Andrews josh at wavefood.com
Wed Jun 2 19:44:59 UTC 2004

Dave Ulrick wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Joshua Andrews wrote:
>

>>After inserting the module I have a beep in a tty and in gnome-terminal,
>>as root, but KDE apps refuse to beep.
>>I have tried everything I can think of, all the settings I can find.
>>
>>If I "run command" from the main menu; `echo $'\a'` I get a beep but so
>>far that is it. In konsole if I run the same command all I get is a bell
>>icon no beep no matter what the system bell settings are adjusted to in
>>konsole configuration or in Control Center bell configuration.
>>
>>It may be very Pavlovian but I sure miss those beeps!
>>

>To get a PC speaker beep from all KDE apps, bring up Control Center,
>then look for the System Bell item.  You want to tell KDE to _not_ use
>system notification for bell events.  I think you uncheck a box to do
>this.  Once you uncheck it, you'll see sliders to adjust the volume,
>pitch, and duration.  Click Apply when you're done.  Note that this
>change will affect only newly launched KDE apps, not ones that are
>already running.
>
>If you want KDE's system notification feature to produce most beeps
>through your sound card, you can still have konsole use the PC
>speaker.  To do so, bring up the Settings menu, then look at the Bell
>submenu.  One of the options tells konsole to use the PC speaker.  If
>you want to make this your konsole default, select 'Save as default'
>afterwards.
>
>Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I have actually tried all of the things that you listed plus more to no
avail however I just solved the problem by opening Accessibility in
Control Center and checking "Use System Bell".

The way I found it to be the cause was going through all the *rc files
in ~/.kde/share/config, kaccessrc was the culprit.  I guess if you open
Accessibility, whether you change anything or not, kaccessrc is created
with the defaults "SystemBell=false".

Joshua