openldap - force simple auth?

Jason Costomiris jcostom at jasons.org
Wed Jun 2 22:51:09 UTC 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 6:09 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Jason Costomiris wrote:
>> When using ldapadd from the command line, I can force it to use the
>> rootpw entry in the slapd.conf by using the -x switch.
>
> No, the "-x" tells the system to use "simple" authentication.  By
> default, the system attempts to connect via SASL.

Interesting notion, unfortunately, it's not the "system".  In fact, the
-x tells ldapadd to use simple authentication, which does not appear to
be slapd's default.  That's what I want.  I want slapd to use simple
auth by default.  Surely something this basic must be configurable.

> It's not slapd that's the cause, it's the LDAP client.  You have to
> change the PHP code to use "ldap_simple_bind()" rather than
> "ldap_sasl_bind()".  Or convince the authors to make it a configuration
> option.

There's no such function in PHP.

There's only ldap_bind().

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.ldap.php