openldap - force simple auth?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jun 3 01:34:38 UTC 2004

Jason Costomiris wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2004, at 6:09 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Jason Costomiris wrote:
>>
>>> When using ldapadd from the command line, I can force it to use the
>>> rootpw entry in the slapd.conf by using the -x switch.
>>

>> No, the "-x" tells the system to use "simple" authentication.  By
>> default, the system attempts to connect via SASL.
>

> Interesting notion, unfortunately, it's not the "system".  In fact, the
> -x tells ldapadd to use simple authentication, which does not appear to
> be slapd's default.  That's what I want.  I want slapd to use simple
> auth by default.  Surely something this basic must be configurable.

Sorry, I misstated.  I shouldn't have said "system".  I meant to say
that the "-x" tells the LDAP client (in this case, "ldapadd") to use
simple authentication.  If you look at the source of the program, you'll
see that the "-x" tells the program to use ldap_simple_bind() rather
than its default of ldap_sasl_bind().

>> It's not slapd that's the cause, it's the LDAP client.  You have to
>> change the PHP code to use "ldap_simple_bind()" rather than
>> "ldap_sasl_bind()".  Or convince the authors to make it a configuration
>> option.
>

> There's no such function in PHP.
>
> There's only ldap_bind().
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.ldap.php

Yes, and PHP wants the server to accept LDAP V2.  Make sure you have the
"allow bind_v2" in your slapd.conf file.  Restart slapd if you have to
alter that file.
-  You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently advanced is  -
-               indistinguishable from a Perl script                 -
-                                 --Programming Perl, 2nd Edition    -