rsyncing 79gb of data to 250gb drive

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 06:02:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

> >Not only do I wonder if tar will respond the same
> way
> >as rsync without the -S option, but I'm also
> wondering
> >if backup software which use rsync to perform
> backups
> >would also take this into account...
>
> I also wonder if there is any downside to using -S
> or whether it might
> produce an undesirable result in some cases. If not,
> perhaps one should
> always use it just in case?

Since then I've been rsyncing all my data using that
switch, and so far haven't seen any issues with it.

The man page on it says the only problem that can be
caused by it is if rsyncing TO a Solaris filesystem,
which can't handle the switch and garbles the files.

Either way, any rsync's I do from now on will contain
it.

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com