Hardrive clicking / Kernel issue or daemon ?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jun 4 03:01:37 UTC 2004

On Thursday 03 June 2004 21:57, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
[lemme do a huge snip here]

>That's the best explanation I've heard of. Though I'm really curious
> on where you got that info. I work in a HD company and yet I'm
> oblivious to that "feature"

On other mailing lists, from people at the drive makers.  Also, I'm a
C.E.T., FWTW (not a lot, it just shows I'm more hardware than most).

>BTW, this is a laptop 5400rpm drive. It has got NO place to go with
> better cooling. :(

Ouch, so you haven't a really hot drive, 5400's weren't normally that
hot running, but one that isn't well enough cooled, or is possibly on
its way out. :(

What happens if you prop it up for a couple of inches worth of air
under it?  Lots of those things sit right down on the table, as if
they're trying to use the table for a heat sink.  Wood and similar
stuff isn't so good at that :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)