bootloader issues on install

Rory Gleeson rory at childwelfare.ca
Fri Jun 4 03:08:10 UTC 2004

1) When installing FC2 to my primary slave -- hdb -- it put the bootloader on
hda, where another OS resides.

2) It overwrote the bootloader on hda rather than playing nice with it.  So,
when I changed my bios back to hda to boot to my other OS, it picked up the
FC2 bootloader, locking me out of my hda OS.

3) When installing FC2, it doesn't clearly state that it was going to put the
bootloader on my other drive.  You have to read the hda closely and know what
it means.

4) It didn't clearly give me the option to put the bootloader on hdb.

5) When I chose "no bootloader" it indicated I'd have to boot from a
bootloader floppy, but then didn't clearly give me the option to create that
floppy.

6) The FC2 rescue disc didn't provide a clear option to create a bootloader
floppy.

Are the above bugzilla worthy??

Questions:
1) How can I now create that bootloader floppy?  I don't mind re-installing
FC2 on hdb, if necessary.

2) On install to hdb, how I can put the bootloader on hdb?

All I want to be able to do is change my bios to boot to a different drive and
then go in to the OS on that drive. I'm trying to keep the OS's completely
separate, using teh bios to flip between them.  I don't want to get in
relying on mutually-dependent bootloaders.

Thanks,
Rory