usb storage and FC2

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Fri Jun 4 10:48:56 UTC 2004

Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 12:17, Alexander Apprich wrote:

[snip]

>>What does
>>
>>     locate usb-storage
>>
>>or (as root)
>>
>>     modprobe usb-storage
>>
>>Say?
>

> I guess you may be right. usb-storage is indeed present, but not loaded
> automatically. I can insert module usb-storage, and it gets properly (i
> presume) 'linked' to scsi_mod. However, if i try to mount /dev/sda1, i
> still get errors: it says it is not a valid block device (which is fals,
> it works perfectly on FC1 and other linux systems).

Do you know that your device _is_ sda1? If it's connected try (as root)

    fdisk -l

and see if there is something that looks like your USD-Device...

>>AFAIK there was a bug with usb storage in 2.6.5. An upgrade of your
>>kernel might help.
>

> That is exactly what i am running. So, i should compile a new kernel?
> Mmmmm...this is not really on the idea of a desktop distro, isn't it?
> But i wonder if i am the only one experiencing such a problem. I mean,
> memory sticks are quite normal, aren't they? Are you all using kernel
> 2.6.5.1-358 wihtout problems?

Don't know if there is an updated kernel availible via yum/apt. But for
testing there is nothing wrong with taking a vanilla kernel from
kernel.org.

Yep, USB-Memorysticks a quit normal, but with a kernel bug even
something normal can be a pain in the ...

> Thanks
>
> E.

Alex