usb storage and FC2

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano.brunetti at fastwebnet.it
Fri Jun 4 10:53:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 12:48, Alexander Apprich wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> >>What does
> >>
> >>     locate usb-storage
> >>
> >>or (as root)
> >>
> >>     modprobe usb-storage
> >>
> >>Say?
> >
> > I guess you may be right. usb-storage is indeed present, but not loaded
> > automatically. I can insert module usb-storage, and it gets properly (i
> > presume) 'linked' to scsi_mod. However, if i try to mount /dev/sda1, i
> > still get errors: it says it is not a valid block device (which is fals,
> > it works perfectly on FC1 and other linux systems).
>
> Do you know that your device _is_ sda1? If it's connected try (as root)
>
>     fdisk -l
>
> and see if there is something that looks like your USD-Device...

Yes, my device *must* be /dev/sda1. Anyhow, both hwbrowser and fdisk -l
say nothing about any sd?? device. Simply, to my system memory stick are
like ghosts. ;)

> >>AFAIK there was a bug with usb storage in 2.6.5. An upgrade of your
> >>kernel might help.
> >
> > That is exactly what i am running. So, i should compile a new kernel?
> > Mmmmm...this is not really on the idea of a desktop distro, isn't it?
> > But i wonder if i am the only one experiencing such a problem. I mean,
> > memory sticks are quite normal, aren't they? Are you all using kernel
> > 2.6.5.1-358 wihtout problems?
>
> Don't know if there is an updated kernel availible via yum/apt. But for
> testing there is nothing wrong with taking a vanilla kernel from
> kernel.org.
>
> Yep, USB-Memorysticks a quit normal, but with a kernel bug even
> something normal can be a pain in the ...

I know. Still i wonder if it was a good choice to release FC2 with a
kernel that has such an annoying bug to normal desktop users (for a
server, i probably couldn't care less...).

Thanks

E.