FC2 = Win 3.1 wanabe

Richard Basile toolivescooby at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 13:50:01 UTC 2004

I am brand new to Linux.  I've been working in tech since 1990, oracle,
unix, blah blah blah... but had been running M$ on my personal desktop
until 2 weeks ago.  In the last two weeks, I've played around with
fedora, white box, knoppix, debian, and mandrake.  Each distro has its
own quirks on my system.  Either audio works, or ethernet works, but
never both... depending on the distro.  With knoppix, video didn't
work.  I guess my hardware is just to new for linux (asus mobo, marvell
on-board gigabit, fx 5700 video).

My point in saying all this is that the pundits are right... linux is
not ready for the personal desktop of the average consumer.  I may have
the background to be able to trudge the road of uncertainty, but my
mother isn't going to be running linux anytime soon.