FC2 = Win 3.1 wanabe

Mark Haney mark.haney at doctordirectory.com
Fri Jun 4 15:39:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 08:05:01 -0700 (PDT), Richard Basile
<toolivescooby at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mark,
> Let me be more specific.  And let me continue using my mother as an
> example of the average computer illiterate user.

> I am not saying Linux is bad... I am not saying this at all.  I am
> saying that for the able, Linux is good and, for the average consumer,
> it is a huge gamble.  Unless, of course, YOU are there to set it up for
> them.

I do appreciate the more specific information.  However I stand behind my
original statements.  If you built this box yourself, _with the intention
of installing Linux_, then you should have made sure the hardware you
purchased would work.  And if so, how well, etc.  On any machine I have
built myself, I have always made sure I stuck with what I knew would work
as advertised if the machine wasn't mine, such as my mother's.  Trust me,
even I hate troubleshooting problems all the time.  And yes I agree, it's
true, Windows does support more stuff out of the box, but that in itself
is not necessarily a good thing.  I've seen MS drivers for hardware just
fail completely and require hardware replacement or actually getting
vendor drivers that work.  The issue is the same regardless of the
Operating System.

And just for fun, I had my mother do an FTP install of FC2 on her machine
and walked her through it on the phone.  And my mother is the least
computer literate person I know.  Granted I did walk her through it, but
it goes to show, with known hardware, Fedora and all other distros work
just fine.

--
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Mark Haney
Network, Database and Systems Administration
DoctorDirectory.com Inc.