Dear Fedora Community, what do you want?

Z zleite at mminternet.com
Fri Jun 4 15:55:05 UTC 2004

Actually the situation is a lot better on the audio drivers. It used to
be pure hell. I had 2 dead cards due to company death (using the vortex
chip). I think that there's some alsa support now, but the MIDI part is
dead and gone.

The nVidia situation is a little more disturbing. From what I gather
from Alan Cox they have some trade secret that they just can't release
openly. Either they simply don't own the algorithms/code on the card
engine, or they are playing some dirty trick. I give them the benefit of
the doubt, so I'm assuming that they just can't release the full specs.
This happens quite a lot, actually. The clueless complain a lot about
the "viral" GPL and conveniently forget that IP-style licenses are even
more infectious.