FC2 = Win 3.1 wanabe

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jun 4 16:27:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 06:50, Richard Basile wrote:
> I am brand new to Linux.  I've been working in tech since 1990, oracle,
> unix, blah blah blah... but had been running M$ on my personal desktop
> until 2 weeks ago.  In the last two weeks, I've played around with
> fedora, white box, knoppix, debian, and mandrake.  Each distro has its
> own quirks on my system.  Either audio works, or ethernet works, but
> never both... depending on the distro.  With knoppix, video didn't
> work.  I guess my hardware is just to new for linux (asus mobo, marvell
> on-board gigabit, fx 5700 video).
>
> My point in saying all this is that the pundits are right... linux is
> not ready for the personal desktop of the average consumer.  I may have
> the background to be able to trudge the road of uncertainty, but my
> mother isn't going to be running linux anytime soon.
----
The problem is that there are so many motherboards with so many
different chip sets that in some cases, not all devices are properly
identified. The same holds true with Windows XP installation, I get a
number of devices that aren't automatically recognized during
installation - the difference is that the motherboard manufacturer
includes a cd with the drivers to patch Windows.

It seems to me that your conclusion would be entirely different if you
looked at the problem another way...if you asked ASUS, etc. why they
aren't working with open source to make their hardware recognized or to
provide you with patches to make it work right. Or perhaps you could
become part of the open source movement and work with the bugzilla
system and help the developers/maintainers with the resolution of your
problem so that something is learned in the process.

Otherwise, you can go back to Windows, contribute nothing, learn nothing
and continue your contribution towards paying and repaying for software
with more and more restrictive licensing.

Craig