PATH env variable changed after 'startx'

David Vernon RedHat at ladadee.com
Fri Jun 4 19:21:55 UTC 2004

Perhaps this is normal and I never noticed this on FC1. On my FC2 boxes
my PATH is being reset when I go into X. Before I start X my path is:

/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/lib/jre/bin:/home/$USER/bin

After starting X it is:

/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/lib/jre/bin

The 'bin' folder in my home directory has been trimmed out.

If I do a 'su - $USER' I get it back for that terminal session.

I have grep'ed a most of the scripts called by 'startx' for 'PATH' and
have not found the culprit. What is trimming my PATH?

Thanks,
David Vernon