OpenOffice.org broken

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 4 19:28:29 UTC 2004

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:11:09PM +0100, Andy Wallace wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 18:59, Nadeem Bitar wrote:
>>
>>>I can't figure out why, but openoffice writer is completely broken it
>>>takes a few seconds for letters to appear after you type them. That's on
>>>a fast machine (3.2GHz, 1GB ram). The CPU and memory usage is very low
>>>and there isn't any disk activity so I am puzzled by that.
>>>
>>>Anyone having the same problem and is there any solution.
>>>
>>>Between I am using OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 on Fedora Core 2.
>>>

>>I've just installed FC2 on my 2.8GHz PC with 1GB RAM, and I'm also having
>>problems with OpenOffice.org.
>>
>>It works, but takes about 5 minutes to start, then a further 10 minutes
>>to open a single-page document. Once the document is loaded, the
>>performance is OK, but it then takes another 5 minutes to save the file
>>to disk.

I just traced OO not starting (maybe I didn't wait long enough) to it hanging
waiting for a printer.  Try

strace oowriter

in a terminal, and see if you notice any hangups with recent 'Foomatic'
messages or IP addresses in them.  Those are connections to network printers.

I cleaned up my cups.conf file and this fixed things.

Also try starting krpinter, I was having the same hangups with kprinter,
ultimately from the same origin.

This may help narrowing the culprit.

best,