KDE very slow in core2

Dylan Parry me at dylanparry.com
Sat Jun 5 12:32:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 14:02:16 +0200, Patrice Brockhaus <patrice at grischa.de>
wrote:

> I'm using a celeron 333Mhz an i'm very disappointed of the performance
> of KDE. The start-menu is almost unusable because I often have to wait
> several seconds for menus to pop up :-(. Works great with core 1. Anyone
> experienng this too?

I've noticed this problem too, and it certainly isn't the speed of your
machine that is causing it (well it could be a factor) because I am using
an AMD 1700+ and I still get long pauses between some of the menus
opening, particularly if there are a lot of items in said menu.

> Can this be because of ext3fs? I'm using reiserfs whith core 1, but  I
> had no choice of reiserfs during instalation of core2 :-(.

I don't think so. I used ext3 for both FC1 and FC2, and this problem
certainly wasn't evident in FC1. I think the problem could be with the
revisions that KDE made to make it compliant with the Open Desktop
standards? Can anyone further enlighten me here?

--
Dylan Parry