A Better KDE for Fedora Core 2

Allen Winter winterz at verizon.net
Sat Jun 5 14:20:06 UTC 2004

Howdy,

I too have had a lot of problems with KDE on the past couple Redhat/Fedora releases.
The best solution I have found so far is to replace the official RPMS with those from the
KDE-Redhat project at http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net.  Enclosed are the instructions
I wrote for myself on how to do this.  YMMV.  Good Luck -Allen

   Install kde-redhat stuff.  We'll use yum since it comes standard with FC2.
   To use the kde-redhat repositories with yum, add the lines shown at
   http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net to the bottom of /etc/yum.conf.
   removing $releasever in the stanza title.

   Logout of any graphical desktop then login as root to the console.
   (The first time this will take a long time -- a *long* time unless
   you have a broadband connection.)
   Then run the following commands:

       % rpm --import http://aleron.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/kde-redhat/gpg.rexdieter-kde-redhat.key
       % yum update
       % yum install kde themer qt arts kdelibs kdebase kdeadmin kdeartwork
       % yum install kdebindings kdeedu kdegames kdegraphics kdemultimedia
       % yum install kdenetwork kdepim kdesdk kdetoys kdeutils kdeaddons
       % yum install koffice quanta k3b guarddog scribus kickpim
       % yum upgrade