European law (was: Re: Dear Fedora Community, what do you want?)

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jun 5 16:01:57 UTC 2004

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

>> However, I am not convinced that the original poster's statement about
>> "laws recently approved in the EU that allow one to see his house raided
>> by private police without a warrant on alledged [sic] violations of
>> copyright" is accurate and objective.
>
> I'm reffering precisely to what you just noticed. And yes, they're
> accurate and objective. You can (and probably should) take a look at the
> directive. It is broad enough to allow that, and as you noticed, that
> happens in the UK and the USA.

While I am opposed to software patents,
I believe you are grossly exaggerating the threat to civil liberties.

First of all, the EU does not make laws.
It issues directives to individual states.
This directive does not require states to create a "private police" force
with the right to enter houses without a warrant.

Which "private police" force is entitled
to enter houses without a warrant in the UK?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366