Vaio 550ve CD-ROM issue

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Sat Jun 5 19:18:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 15:13, alan wrote:
> Well, I finally got Fedora Core 2 installed on this little Vaio.  Almost
> the most painful install on this little beast yet.  (One install aborted
> about 3/4 of the way through.  Not to mention the 12+gig I had to backup
> over a slow network...)
>
> When I try and use the PCMCIA CD-ROM, I get the following errors on the
> syslog:
>
> Jun  3 23:46:44 localhost cardmgr[1460]: socket 0: Ninja ATA
> Jun  3 23:46:45 localhost cardmgr[1460]: get dev info on socket 0 failed:
> No such device
> Jun  3 23:46:45 localhost kernel: ide-cs: GetNextTuple: No more items
>
> The cd-rom drive does not come up.
>
> I remember having to do the similar command line hack to get the drive
> working for Redhat 9 and Fedora Core 1.
>
> The "pci=off ide1=0x180,0x386" was not needed for Redhat 7.2 or 7.3.
> Anything before Redhat 8 never needed the pci=off for the cd-rom drive to
> work.  (Most of the time all you needed was "ide1=0x180".)  I have used
> this laptop with about every version of Redhat since about 6.0 or so.
>
> I can go back and test which work and which do not sometime this weekend.
> (It just takes time and the "big book of Linux install discs".)
>
> I will also test to see if the port expanded still cores the system.
>
> BTW, the change in working v.s. non-working seemed to be just after
> kernel version 2.4.18 or so.

It is even worse than that.  If I turn off pci I can no longer access
usb, firewire or the built in crappy winmodem.  (The winmodem is no big
loss, but usb is.)

For now, whenever I need to use the cd-rom, I have to reboot the machine
and use those kernel options.

I will test to see if it is anything that uses ide-cs or just the
cdrom.  (I have a pcmcia to flash adapter that uses that module, if I
remember right.)

--
Alan <alan at clueserver.org>