aRts, KDE, Xmms, FC2

Jorge Fábregas fabregasj at prtc.net
Sat Jun 5 20:21:52 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I'm running FC2 on a Dell Latitude c840 laptop. I'm running also SuSE 9 there.
I'm trying to make xmms behave properly. I need to enable the aRts plugin on
xmms so I can listen to music while I still get kde sound notifications.  The
problem is that, by selecting the aRts plugin on xmms, there's a noticeable
delay when I change the volume there. If I lower the music, I'll do it, and 2
seconds later the volume lowers...If I stop the music, it takes 2 seconds
before it stops. This sucks.

I can't change the aRts plugin to ALSA or other because other apps won't be
able to use the sound device. This is a cheap integrated card.

The funny thing is that in SuSE 9 (kde 3.1.4) using XMMS 1.2.8 and aRts plugin
0.4 none of above happens. I lower the volume, and imediately you see the
results. I wonder if this is a kde 3.2 (artsd) issue or should I try the xmms
1.2.8 and aRts plugin 0.4 combination that comes with SuSE?

Thanks for any help.

Jorge