Fedora Core 3 Wishlist

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Jun 6 19:41:53 UTC 2004

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 01:58:04PM -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:

>>>As they do in the kernel source they provide.
>>>

>>Think binaries. That is what matters. Do not ask me why I am not a lawyer.
>>

>Well, xmms source had mp3 support removed.

Different issue AFAICT.  The mp3 protocol is under different rules and
there are different patent/copyright issues involved.

NTFS is a filesystem that can be read by anything that can read raw data
from the disk (all filesystems contain data on the disk so this is no
surprise).  How it is handled is  the subject of their proprietary
software, and anybody can freely develop the code to read the data, and
even write it (if you ignore the metadata).  However, 'how' the data is
read is by handling the raw data from the disk.  Even the linux NTFS
modules are still listed as experimental and the last time I checked
were 'read only'.  As I understand it, the metadata for the filesystem
which contains the filesystem permissions, access lists, etc., is the
really tough stuff to handle and so NTFS as it is used by linux does not
utilize the metadata files, but rather ignores that stuff.

If I understand correctly, reading the data is not illegal.  Writing it
*using techniques that would not hose the filesystem* is the tough (and
possibley illegal) part, because it would have to utilize the same
metadata management as used by M$.