corupted kernel

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Mon Jun 7 00:56:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 7 Jun 2004, sly wrote:

> how can i fix a corrupted kernel. the file /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 is bad and cannot load up. and there is no backup?

Assuming you are correct and it is really corrupt (I doubt it but I have been
wrong before). Boot into rescue mode and reinstall the kernel rpm. Your
backup is the original rpm you installed during the install.

Boot into rescue mode
mount the cd with the original kernel rpm on it
rpm -ivh --replacepkgs kernel*.rpm should do it.

Oh btw, once in rescue mode if you run rpm -V kernel-whatever before you
reinstall the kernel it will tell you if the rpm is corrupt or not. If it
is not your problem is elseware.

HTH,

Tom