How to modify gnome menus and panel system wide for new users

Prasanth Kumar lunix at comcast.net
Mon Jun 7 04:17:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 22:04 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> Been trying to figure out how to modify the menus and panel system wide
> for new users in FC2.  What I need to do is set it up once then when I
> create a new user all the custom applications will be in place without
> having to customize each users panel separately.
>
> Been poking around the /usr/share/applications folder and the
> /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0 directory but have not been able to sort this out.
> And so far I have not found the right phrase to google with to get the
> info I am looking for.  It looks like these may be used to modify the
> menus but I am also looking for how to modify the initial panel setup
> that users get.
>
> Can someone point me to information on how to set this up?
>

> --
> Scot L. Harris
> webid at cfl.rr.com
>
> manic-depressive, adj.:
> 	Easy glum, easy glow.

Perhaps the following link is useful:
http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html

Basically copy one of the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications and
modify to your liking with a new name, comment, exec and categories
parameter. The categories parameter is used along with the gnome-vfs
files to determine what menu that item should go into. Thus the easiest
things is just to copy an existing entry in the same menu and change to
your liking.

--
Regards,
Prasanth